Our Unique Doula Services
At Gaia Birth and Bodywork, the initial meeting is free. The initial meeting is for the parents and the doula to decide whether it’s a good fit. Then, there are three prenatal visits. These allow everyone to become comfortable with each other. During these visits, the doula becomes aware of your hopes and wishes for your birth experience and helps you prepare for the birth of your baby.
A doula is there throughout the pregnancy to assist you in finding the answers to questions through telephone or email. When your labor starts, the support begins when you’re ready. Some women prefer phone contact for early labor and other favor the personal contact as soon as possible. Throughout your birthing process, the doula helps you as needed with position changes, massage, visualization, hydrotherapy, rest, and breathing.
She is there with you each step of the way, as each surge comes and goes, and as you work to bring your baby from your womb to your arms. Immediately after the birth, the doula stays with you for a short while as you transition into motherhood. She helps get you settled and comfortable into your space and then quietly takes her leave for you to bond with your new family.
Our Doula Services include:
- Initial Consultation: This allows us a chance to meet and become familiar with one another, answer questions, and to find out if we are a good fit.
- Three Prenatal Doula Meetings: We meet to discuss your birth preferences, birth preparation, pain coping techniques, and to spend more time getting to know one another.
- Providing Continuous Physical and Emotional Support During Your Birth: We mother the mother within you and help your birth partner be fully present to support you.
- Postpartum Doula Visit: We will discuss and recap the birth experience and help you get adjusted as a family by providing assistance with necessary resources.
If I hire a doula do I need to take a Childbirth Education class also?
We highly encourage you take a childbirth preparation class as our prenatal doula meetings are not designed to take the place of a class. While we do love and advocate Birthing From Within Childbirth preparation, we have experience working with women and couples who use a wide variety of childbirth preparation courses.
We have assisted women who have attended Birthing From Within®, Hypnobirthing, Hypnobabies, Lamaze, Bradley Method, and a wide variety of private and hospital based childbirth education classes.
Doula’s Role: As your doula we…
- Give you reassurance
- Suggest position changes
- Create a relaxing environment
- Suggest various pain coping techniques
- Use aromatherapy and hydrotherapy
- Offer words of encouragement
- Guide you through visualizations
- Help you understand the physiology of labor and birth
- Provide soothing touch and massage
- Suggest ways to include your partner
- Instill in you the confidence to gain information to give informed consent
- Prepare you for your birth experience through education, open discussion, and providing you with necessary resources